The IOHE relies on a participative approach to attain its objectives. Member institutions (who together make up the General Assembly) participate in the election of the Board of Directors and Regional Councils, as well as in the identification of regional priorities. Scroll down to find out more about the different positions of governance in IOHE and the people who occupy them.
Meet the General Assembly
The General Assembly is the supreme decision-making body of the organization. It is comprised of the totality of its members and is represented by its legally-appointed directors. Among others, its main functions include electing the President and all members of the Board of Directors, to establish annual fees and other questions of financial contribution, to establish the aims and adopt the decisions or useful recommendations for the effective management of the organization.
The General Assembly meets once a year at a date and location decided on by the Board of Directors.
Meet the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is the body responsible for managing administrative affairs of the organization. It is comprised of a wide network of university presidents who offer many years of sectoral experience to ensure an efficient governance of the organization. It consists of 13 members; a council of experienced administrators who typically sit at the head some of the largest universities in their country and some of whom have held ministerial posts or high ranking government positions. A legal advisor also sits on the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors strives to maintain a balanced representation of public, private, cooperative, denominational and non-denominational universities from across the Americas. Each of the 9 IOHE regions is under the responsibility of a Regional Council, presided over by a Vice President who serves a renewable two-year term. They provide support for the President, the General-Secretariat, and the Executive Directors of IOHE programs, which together form the Executive Committee. The Board meets twice a year, in addition to maintaining regular contact between meetings. All members are invited to an annual General Assembly where proposals are submitted and reviewed, and final decisions are made. A virtual system is used when electing Board members in order to mobilize a larger number of member participation.
Currently, it is comprised of:
Oscar Garrido Alvarez, President, Universidad de Los Lagos, Chile
Guy Lefebvre, Université de Montréal, Canada
- Outgoing: Allan Cahoon, President, Royal Roads University, Canada
- Honorary: Juan Carlos Romero Hicks, Mexico
Regional Vice Presidents:
- Andean Countries: Mauro Toscanini Segale, President, Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Brazil : Benedito Guimarães Aguiar Neto, President, Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie
- Canada: Jacques Frémont, President, University of Ottawa
- Caribbean: Miguel Fiallo Calderón, President, Universidad Nacional Pedro Henríquez Ureña (UNPHU), Dominican Republic
- Central America: Marcelo Prieto Jiménez, President, Universidad Técnica Nacional, Costa Rica
- Colombia: German Anzola Montero, President, Universidad de Ciencias Aplicadas y Ambientales
- Mexico: Miguel Angel Navarro Navarro, President, Universidad de Guadalajara
- Southern Cone: Hector Floriani, President, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, Argentina
- United States: Federico Zaragoza, Vice Chancellor of Economic & Workforce Development, Alamo Colleges